Bigger and better artists at the Isle of Wight festival as Live...

Bigger and better artists at the Isle of Wight festival as Live Nation swoop in multi-million pound takeover bid

32
0
SHARE
Isle of Wight Festival 2018. (Photo Credit: PA Wire)

by Richard Mark, Digital Editor

“Bigger and better artists are on the cards.”

That’s the message from the Isle of Wight Festival after it was officially taken over by Live Nation earlier this week on the verge of its 50th anniversary next year.

It comes after the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said it had no concerns about the deal in September.

IOW Isle of Wight Festival 2017 – crowd (Photo Credit: Richard Percival)

The CMA looked into the deal when it was announced in March, after concerns were raised that Live Nation’s — which runs other festivals including T in the Park, Reading and Leeds — acquisition of a controlling stake would stop other events from being able to book top acts.

A CMA spokesperson said: “After the merger, people will continue to be able to choose between festivals owned by Live Nation and a variety of competing festivals.

Alongside the takeover deal, festival organise John Giddings who will continue to run the festival revealed the first set of headliners.

IOW Isle of Wight Festival 2017 – Rod Stewart closes the festival (Photo Credit: Richard Percival)

Kasabian, Liam Gallagher, The Killers and Depeche Mode will headline the main stage alongside The Script, Van Morrison, James Bay and the Bloomsons will also perform.

John said: “This year as a unique one as we celebrate 50 years since the festival’s first incarnation so it’s fantastic to celebrate with returning artists and those appearing for the first time.

“”Having Liam Gallagher will be incredible – you will have the voice of Oasis, singing Oasis songs on the Isle of Wight.

“But then The Killers are also a big crowd pleaser, and Kasabian are a great rock band.”

John Giddings, founder and director of the Isle of Wight Festival. (Photo Credit: Richard Percival)

The Isle of Wight festival attracted over £58,000 people in 2016 with headliners Queen and Adam Lambert and is thought to generate around £10 million a year to the local economy.

The event returns to Seaclose Park in Newport from June 21 to 24.

 

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY