Saints drew 1-1 against Brighton on Sunday afternoon

Glenn Murray’s second half header cancelled out Stephen Davis’ early opener as Southampton were held to a 1-1 draw at the Amex stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Saints took the lead in the opening 10 minutes after Ward-Prowse’s free kick crashed against the crossbar but rebounded into the path of Davis for a simple header into the empty net.

The Seagulls equalised early in the second half after Pascal Gross’ ball in was met by Murray. His header beat Saints keeper Fraser Forster, who will feel he should have done better with the effort.

Neither side were at their best, with a draw probably a fair result. With very few clear-cut opportunities throughout the game, it was Dusan Tadic who came closest for Saints as his first half strike was deflected wide.

Shane Duffy came closest for the home side, who sliced his effort high and wide, with Van Dijk also making a superb block to deny Seagulls winger, Jose Izquierdo.

The point moves Saints up to 9th in the Premier League, with Brighton remaining 12th after Leicester’s win over Everton.

The Amex Stadium hosted the battle of the south coast.
The Amex Stadium hosted the battle of the south coast.

Speaking to the press after the game, Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino said: “It was a game that was really tight. Neither team could completely control the game.

“High tempo, up and down but we never controlled it totally, the ball, and create more action. Both teams were compact. My players competed well.”

Seagulls manager Chris Hughton felt that his side were worth at least a point: “These are a good side with good quality. We got back into the game and showed good quality. In the final third we had more opportunities to create and thoroughly deserved to be back into it.

“In all our games, there isn’t anybody who has given us a real beating. We have been in most games.”

Saints will be looking to continue their unbeaten run next week when they host Burnley. The same goes for Brighton who travel to Swansea.