Join the Sky Ride Southampton!
Have cycling fun at the established My Journey village based in Houndwell Park, where you will find all of the usual fun activities and local cycling information including My Journey information, Sustrans, Southampton Cycling Campaign, Southampton CTC, New Forest Tour Cycling (New Forest National Park), Hargroves Cycles, Ride Ride, The Society of St James Recycle Prokect, Coffee Cruiser and Bicycle King.
This year, Southampton City Council will be bringing the Time To Change pop up village to Palmerston Park (next to the band stand) to raise awareness of mental health and to call for end to mental health stigma. Activities on offer include:
– Solent NHS Health Trainers advice on how to look after your mental health and busting common myths about mental health.
– Headstart will be promoting their project to help children in Southampton develop the skills and emotional resilience they need to deal with worry and anxiety.
– Sammy the Saint and the Saints Foundation will be highlighting how keeping active can keep you physically and mentally healthy with inflatable football.
– Southampton Ukulele Jam will be providing live music.
– Steps to Wellbeing will be holding free relaxation sessions and promoting the importance of mindfulness.
– The Time to Change cinema will be showing short films to raise awareness of mental health and combat stigma.
– Several other local organisations and charities including Solent Mind, Healthwatch and the local NHS will be offering advice and information on services.
Mental health problems are common – but nearly nine out of ten people who experience them say they face stigma and discrimination as a result. This can be even worse than the symptoms themselves. Time to Change is England’s most ambitious programme to end this stigma and discrimination faced by people with mental health problems. The programme is run by the charities Mind and Rethink Mental Illness, and funded by the Department of Health, Comic Relief and the Big Lottery Fund.
Click here for more information
The Sky Ride route
The circular route is approximately 5 miles in length between 11am – 3pm. You can ride the whole route in one go or stop off to enjoy the many free activities, then join the route again. The route takes you around the city.
Guildhall Square > Watts Park > London Road > The Avenue > Cemetery Road > Southampton Common > The Avenue > London Road > East Park > Palmerston Park > Houndwell Park > Bargate > Houndwell Park > Palmerston Park > East Park > Guildhall Square..